The Journey - Part I
"I liked the movie though it could've been better" said I."Me too" said Rohan.
"Nah! I didn't. There was no climax. No conclusion. It ended just like that" said someone among us.
"Exactly!" voiced another.
"Well, I liked it may be because I knew the theme beforehand. There's a mythological aspect to it. According to Bible, man once threatened to challenge God's supremacy and tried to build a tower in the city of Babylonia to reach heaven. To thwart the attempt, God gave different languages to the workers involved which consequently meant chaos among the folks owing to lack of a language to communicate and interact. Hence the name of movie 'Babel'. The Americans in Morocco couldn't communicate with the locals. The Mexican couldn't express her troubles to American policemen. The dumb Japanese couldn't speak (the language of the crowd around her). ", I tried to put a perspective.
"But I liked it anyways without knowing any of that" reinforced Rohan.
"Crap!" came a voice.
"Well it's all a matter of opinion and personal interpretation" said someone. That seemed to silence each of us and we chatted our way to home from PVR cinemas.
But I sometimes wonder why what's there in movies like 'Crash' , 'Babel' or a 'Mystic River'. Why did 'For whom the bell tolls' or 'An Equal Music' leave some sort of impression even though they didn't end with any kind of a strong or direct conclusion?
One reason might be the simple narrative devoid of any cosmetics. The other one is the actual and strong one. The Journey. All the pieces of work mentioned above took you along a journey and left you after sometime. It may be how that was to you without affecting you in person that makes your decision. 'Crash' tells not everything is black and white. Babel just made you travel you along its characters and 'For whom the bell tolls' is a simple tale of a death in waiting.
It's the journey that a director or an author makes it characters unknowingly take and sometimes without any destination (in sight). This is what I and you go through and continue to do so.
For this reason there might not be any Part II to this post :-)


No comments:
Post a Comment